Art of the Genre

Today I’m going to compose a list of my personal favorite D&D module covers from TSR circa 1981-1987. Hopefully you all will remember these fondly as well.

#10. B3: Palace of the Silver Princess – Erol Otus

#9. U3: The Final Enemy – Dave de Leuw

#8. B4: The Lost City – Jim Holloway

#7. X1: The Isle of Dread – Jeff Dee

#6. M1: Blizzard Pass – Tim Truman

#5: T1: The Village of Hommlet – Jeff Dee

#4: I6: Ravenloft – Clyde Caldwell

#3: I3: Pharaoh – Jim Holloway

#2 S1: Tomb of Horrors – Jeff Dee

#1 D1-2: Descent into the Depths of the Earth – Jim Roslof

I’m sure there will be a good deal of debate here, but nonetheless I think this is still a strong list. And remember, if you enjoy what we do here at AotG, and love a great classic 1E adventure, then help support us through our latest Kickstarter, The Folio 1E module! Check us out on the banner to your right, with $5 PDFs and $15 physical modules! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/563681582/the-folio-1e-module-relaunch

Written by Scott Taylor — December 13, 2014

Comments

Rachael Strange:
a hot link to your kickstarter would be GOOD! if I go for the hardccopy of the kickstarter do I get the PDF? if not then how do I get them both?
Thank you!

December 15 2014 at 10:12 AM

Scott:

Rachael: Sorry, I had the banner but I included the hot link for you. As for your question, ALL backers get PDFs if they want them, both in 1E and 5E.

December 15 2014 at 10:12 AM

Tony:

Tastes of course vary. You have some strong ones there, but I myself would have chose:

- Dave Trampier’s Village of Hommlet Cover
-Erol Otus’s Lost Cavern’s of Tsjoanth or Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan covers (both of em)
- Not a DL fan, but I liked the Elmore cover with the white dragon and the boat
- The original S1 cover had that “something”
- Oh, and there is also the cover of Secret of Bone Hill that I remember caught my teen-aged attention :)

December 15 2014 at 02:12 PM

Todd Lockwood:

I like the Village of Hommlet and Pharaoh especially.

December 15 2014 at 04:12 PM

Scott:

Tony: Secret of Bone Hill had Willingham’s work, of course we all loved it!

December 15 2014 at 06:12 PM

Patrick:

I always loved Erol Otus’ work, so I’d vote for any of his covers, but I have no issues with any choices above, though I will admit that the original monochrome cover of B1: In Search of Adventure has always been a favorite, since it came in my original boxed set, and G2: Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl was too since it was my first module purchase.

Among other great covers not mentioned so far, the cover for S4: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks was amazing for the, “OMG! What is this???” effect it had. Yeah, I bought it. More than once. :-p

December 16 2014 at 01:12 PM

Scott:

Patrick: OMG! Isn’t S4 the BOMB! I recently got to see Roslof’s AD notes on what was needed for the module, plus his roughs for the fauna. Pretty cool!

December 16 2014 at 07:12 PM